Monday, March 7, 2011

Lent

Ash Wednesday is in two days.  Last year I decided to write Thank You notes during Lent.  I wrote them every night for the first.....3 days.  Those I mailed.  Then I wrote for 3 more days, and never mailed them.  So much for the 40 days of Lent.  The prior year I gave up Diet Coke.   In some ways that sounds silly.  But if you knew me, you would understand.  It was hard, it was work, it was painful, and difficult, and miserable, and I broke down twice and popped the top on a glorious can of DC and chugged to my hearts content.  It was that - or beat my kids - and I figured God would forgive the DC more than the kiddo beating.  (and they really didn't deserve a beating, but mom was losing her mind and needed a sanity restoration).

I have tried "bible reading" and "devotionals" in the past.  To about the same success at the Thank You notes.  Fasting isn't for me as I become nonfunctional, which again isn't conducive to homeschooling.
I did reread "The First Christmas" by Borg and Crossan over Advent, and plan to start "The Last Week" on Wednesday to read over Lent.

But my true Lenten practice this year will be this blog.  My plan is to blog every day of Lent, even if just one sentence.  

So begins my Lenten blog...a process of putting my thoughts, life, and experiences into a written format.  I might not be interesting, in fact it might be plain boring, but within the boring is the Unexpected, like the radical life changing message of Jesus is unexpected.

No comments:

Post a Comment